Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

rear brake disc

wavie
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

rear brake disc

Post by wavie on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 7:48 am

has anyone ever bought anything from virtual village .co.uk as im thinking of buing a new rear disc and found this one for £11.99

from
http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/rear-brake-disc-for-honda-cb400-500-900-hornet-nss-xl-004616-197.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shcomp
sputnik
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Re: rear brake disc

Post by sputnik on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 9:09 am

Can't say I've ever used the site but, man, that seems mighty cheap! Almost tempted to get one myself as my original has a slight warp but fear that, at that price, it might be useless. If you get one I'd certainly be interested to hear how you get on. I've seen some questionable comments on other forums about cheap pattern discs warping quickly but hey, for £12 you've not lost much even if it is junk.
sputnik
Crotch Rocketuer
Crotch Rocketuer

Post by sputnik on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 9:12 am

Ah, having looked again, the £25 affraid postage might go some way to explaining the low item cost!!

Dave
Scratcher!
Scratcher!

Post by Dave on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 5:20 pm

It looks pretty cool, but it's probably made from a manhole cover at £11.99...

I'd still consider one though lol.
wavie
Hyper Viper
Hyper Viper

Post by wavie on Sat 31 Jul 2010, 7:19 pm

as no one knows what there like ill probably give it a miss, probably works out cheaper in the long run to get a better quality one and pay a bit more .
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Sun 01 Aug 2010, 10:05 pm

To be honest how often do you all change your brake discs? I've done mine once since I bought the bike 12 years ago so I figure it's not worth fitting cheapies!
LI
Two Tone
Two Tone

Post by LI on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 10:53 am

It does look nice though Very Happy
teamster1975
Admin
Admin

Post by teamster1975 on Mon 02 Aug 2010, 11:36 am

LI wrote:It does look nice though Very Happy

That is true! Cool
Shadow_Alex

Post by Shadow_Alex on Fri 06 Aug 2010, 6:24 pm

when it comes to brakes i say its not worth the risk. I've seen these on Fleabay a few times and once considered them but i'd rather save for EBC wavies.

I can't say i trust cheap chinese metal work!
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Fri 02 Jan 2015, 6:05 pm

While looking for the cause of a rubbing sound i discovered a large crack in my rear brake disk running from the outer edge into the braking surface. Its about 2cm long and looks like its been there a while (although i dont know how ive missed it) as i can see rusty discolouration on the inner edge of the crack. 

Needless to say im going to have to buy a new one...Has anyone got any recommendations for me please?

thanks
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 12:27 pm

Well... a new 'real' Honda one from lings is 80 quid (ish), so don't pay any more than that!

I saw this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GEN-HONDA-REAR-BRAKE-DISC-CB500-1997-2002-/181617410959?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2a493dc38f

You can also get one for a shade less from David Silver spares (78 quid inc vat and delivery):

http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB500V-1997/part_68511/

If you are feeling mental/rich then you can buy an EBC from wemoto for 90 quid (!!!!):

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cb_500_v/97-98/picture/disc_rear_ebc/

If you look on ebay there are quite a few for about half of this price from China or Hong Kong, usually of the wavy variety; I can't comment on the quality of these as I haven't tried one. It might well be worth a punt, however it might not. I suspect that you will get something and it will fit; how long it lasts or what quality it is may be less well defined.
spitonyourgrave22
Admin
Admin

Post by spitonyourgrave22 on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 1:57 pm

You know I just wouldn't risk this. I've heard horror stories from people buying cheap climbing gear from China, and it's made out of monkey metal in the end. Just fractures under use. That kind of reaction on your dick brakes is just going to end bad. I had a Chinese bike years ago that was made entirely out the stuff and it fell apart in 5000 mls. I' sure you could justify the cost of EBC disks on a cost per ride basis! Since the replacement cost is quite high Wink

Ride safe!

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 2:39 pm

Totally agree. Don't waste your money on cheap brakes. Get the Honda ones, and ride with the peace of mind that they're not made out of cheese!
steady Eddy
the 800
the 800

Post by steady Eddy on Sat 03 Jan 2015, 3:32 pm

Ive gone ahead and ordered the genuine honda one off ebay for £75, thanks ET for the link.

Would of liked the EBC disk, but after crimbo an all money is tight. Totally agree about the china ones probably being garbage and would only of considered getting one id got some good reviews.

Cheers guys Smile, Will let you know how it goes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:14 am