Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

TYRES

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

TYRES

Post by freeride on Thu 12 Apr 2012, 8:44 pm

I'm sure we have been here before but:-
I pumped my tyres up to 32F/42R as advised on the forum the other week as it was on about 25F/29R.

Usually I'm a fair weather rider no rain and warm. However, I went yesterday at 5.30 pm and that was probably the coldest I'd ever ventured out on this steed. Bike was a bit different to the usual.
Parked up at 6.00pm and came home at gone 07.30pm when it was 5 degrees or so. Even after 15 mins ride the tyres felt like they were all over the place and followed every line in the road. I stopped to see if there was anything wrong twice and all looked fine.
Before you ask the rear is squared off a little but it is difficult to tell unless you have a new tyre next to it. I'd say the centre was 50% worn more than the sides.
Answers please the easy one is let the tyres down and only go out in the warm.The bike was so different......
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Re: TYRES

Post by eternally_troubled on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 7:37 pm

A quick point:

What tyres have you got? The higher pressures are only definatly suitable for Bridgestone BT-45s. If you have other tyres you should probably try the 'standard' pressures first (29F/33-36R)
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 9:00 pm

Thanks.
I have BT45's the front is newish and the rear has done a few miles as described.
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

Sorry to hear the pressure didn't help on this one.

Some other ideas:

How's the rear wheel alignment?

Are the steering head bearings stiff/"notched" or too tight?

Last edited by chromedome on Fri 13 Apr 2012, 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had another idea)
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Thu 19 Apr 2012, 6:05 pm

Thanks.

As it was fine before I put the air in I'll let some out and check the alignment. Maybe the pumped up tyres don't mix with the suspension setting.
freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by freeride on Sun 29 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

Have to admit my error I checked the tyres again today and I had wait for it 48 in the front tyre. I clearly didn't check it properly last time and I'm sure this will account for the very very poor ride I had last time. When and if it stops raining I'll try it.

Thanks
Freeride
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 12:48 pm

Glad to hear you found the problem!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content