Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

My fron end wobbles?

AndyB1966

My fron end wobbles?

Post by AndyB1966 on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:01 pm

Does anybody know how to solve the problem of front end wobble at 40mph? I've found loads of refrences to this on the web and i have noticed if i remove the top box the wobble stops. But i need that on son any sugestions. Shocked
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Re: My fron end wobbles?

Post by chromedome on Thu 29 Mar 2012, 8:11 pm

Think you've solved part of the issue yourself Andy with the top box. Depends on how heavily it's loaded in my experience. However, having said that mine doesn't affect the handling that much.

What tyres are you using and what are the pressures you inflate them to?
AndyB1966

Post by AndyB1966 on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 7:33 pm

Not sure on tyre make!! only bought it a couple of months ago. Pressure set at 29 front - 32 rear. Even when the box is empty it wobbles. Really freaks me out.
chromedome
the 900
the 900

Post by chromedome on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 8:54 pm

mmm..... those pressures sound a bit low TBH. I have Bridgestone BT45's on mine, inflate them to 36 PSI front, 42 PSI rear and it holds the road like a good 'un.

Trying higher tyre pressures is one fix that costs nothing as well.... Laughing

Another factor to consider is if the rear tyre is "squared off" from constant cruising on motorways and dual carriageways. I've found this can have an adverse effect on handling in the past, especially over white lines and road ripples.
davetheworv
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by davetheworv on Fri 30 Mar 2012, 9:31 pm

as chrome says, your pressures are way too low,no wonder you have wobbles,the handling will be somuch improved if you follow the advise
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Mon 25 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

Is this tyre pressure recommendation still valid?  Honda say 29 & 33/36.  Running at Honda's figures i get the wobbles too so will try those higher pressures.  I need to carry a lot of luggage too, often camping stuff for a week away so i can't just take the offending luggage off Rolling Eyes
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 26 Aug 2014, 12:49 pm

@stevew wrote:Is this tyre pressure recommendation still valid?  Honda say 29 & 33/36.  Running at Honda's figures i get the wobbles too so will try those higher pressures.  I need to carry a lot of luggage too, often camping stuff for a week away so i can't just take the offending luggage off Rolling Eyes

Well... if you have BT45s then it is certainly worth trying higher pressures - bridgestone have advised this when fitting BT45s to the CB500.

If you don't have BT45s then, as they say, 'your mileage may vary'.

It is worth *starting* at the pressures given by Honda (29/36 psi) and going up slowly - this won't do any harm (within reason) and is probably advisable if you are carrying a lot of luggage anyway.

It is pretty much up to you, so it is worth doing a few 'trial' runs first with the luggage loaded up and see what feels best for you.

With the Avon Roadriders that I have on the bike I have found that the 'standard' pressures (29F 36R) are fine, but if either front or rear goes down by only 1 or 2 psi the handling gets noticeably worse.
Basil Moss
the 900
the 900

Post by Basil Moss on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 6:34 am

I have my BT45 tyres at 33 & 40. Often go camping & rock climbing with the bike loaded with ridiculous ammounts of luggage. I'd say it feels more stable with the luggage on, when it's up to speed. Try the higher pressures.
mcalvert39
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by mcalvert39 on Wed 27 Aug 2014, 10:03 pm

I also get a wobble but more so under deceleration from around 50. I put it down to me weighing feck all. Getting the thing turned in on a tight bend at speed is something im still getting used to.
davebike500
Silver Bullet
Silver Bullet

Post by davebike500 on Thu 28 Aug 2014, 8:05 am

Tyre pressures recommended by Honda seem to be way to low for most /all modern tyre
I run 36/40 with either SAVA or Conti go or twist
The_Wasp
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by The_Wasp on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 9:41 pm

This information is useful, my front has felt wobbly at low speed and I have been running at Honda's recommended pressures since I bought the bike so I will inflate to 36/42 PSI for front and rear and see how it goes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 2:47 pm