Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.

Gear Indicator

freeride
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Gear Indicator

Post by freeride on Fri 10 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

I see the last post on this topic didn't get far?

Has anyone fitted a gear indicator at all if so any help with the make etc. Does it work OK?
Thanks
Tommo
Barry Sheene
Barry Sheene

Re: Gear Indicator

Post by Tommo on Sat 11 Feb 2012, 9:54 am

I would also be interested, as I keep forgetting I'm in 5th and think it's 6th and vice vesa.

Could be an age thing though.
stevew
Four's a...something...
Four's a...something...

Post by stevew on Wed 10 Jun 2015, 10:37 pm

OK, so reviving a really old thread that didn't go anywhere.....................

Anyone using one?
Found this on Ebay at £11 what do you reckon?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Bike-Digital-Gear-Indicator-LED-Display-Shift-Level-Sensor-/291300965347?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
GlenAnderson
Laser Shark
Laser Shark

Post by GlenAnderson on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 12:18 am

For a little over a tenner, with free postage, it's got to be worth a punt if you want one.
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:16 am

I've looked at gear indicators more than once. Tried to figure out what mechanism is inside - how do they work? But in the end I've not been able to muster the energy to go get one.

The thing is, why? What would it bring me? I don't think my riding will improve at all. And besides, my main issue with gears is that I tend to forget downshifting altogether, eg when coasting up to a red light. I pull the clutch, then start thinking about all kinds of different things, entirely unrelated to sequential dogbox handling. A major source of distraction during summer (what summer?) seems to be women wearing short skirts, crossing the road. Bet none of you people can recognise that...

Anyways - returning to the subject; I've never actually ridden a bike with gear indicator. Please enlighten me - what's it really good for? From where I stand, it seems to be just another blinkenlights doodad that will take my eyes off the road and eventually break.

Fifth or sixth? Easy; if the speedometer and revcounter needles are tracking each other, you're in sixth. If the revcounter needle is ahead of the speedometer needle, it's fifth - or fourth...
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 9:19 am

On mine, 4th is where 40mph=4k on the revs. I would like an indicator for when I'm in top gear though as I seem to try and upshift from there more often than I probably should. That said, I do it even more on the Bandit I'm currently stuck with! Smile
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 9:40 am

@stormbringer wrote: I've never actually ridden a bike with gear indicator. Please enlighten me - what's it really good for? From where I stand, it seems to be just another blinkenlights doodad that will take my eyes off the road and eventually break.

agreed.

I thought about adding one in the past but even now my 2nd bike has one I still rarely look at it...... when stopped make sure its all the way down, slowing to a start (waiting for the green light) all the way down and then full click up and off you go, need to plane out the rev's or approaching the red line - shift up and repeat till it stops, need some more oomph shift it down.

...the actual gear number is pretty irrelevant geek

(saying that if I really am curious as sometimes you find a nice crusing gear ill pull the clutch shift up and count and then down again)

muttley1
the 900
the 900

Post by muttley1 on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:40 am

Hi,
these were in vogue on early 80's bikes, I had a VF750 honda that had a big lcd that displayed gear indicator and fuel level (it was an American import). I can't recall it being that useful due to the bike having loads of torque but as said, for a tenner worth a go.

muttley1
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:53 am

I'd LOVE a fuel gauge! Very Happy
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:55 am

with you on that one..... other bike even does predicted milage cheers
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 1:47 pm

Personally I don't really want or need one, but as you are saying for a tenner it is worth a punt.

I had a quick read of the advert and apparently this this has a magnet which you stick on the gear lever and it comes with two sensors that you place such that they detect if you move the lever up or down. Personally I think this is likely to not work or go wrong, but, as I said, for a tenner it might be worth a try, especially if you like fiddling with things until they work!
jerryfudd

Awesome!

Post by jerryfudd on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 2:16 pm

...sounds like you get what you pay for
ashcroc
the 900
the 900

Awesome!

Post by ashcroc on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 6:31 pm

There's no reason a magnetic pickup wouldn't work if fitted correctly. You just need to find that sweet spot on the gear shifter between recording false gear changes & not recording anything. It'll certainly be easier than trying to retrofit one with a pickup inside the engine/gearbox.

Even though I've had my fair share of trying to find 7th on moterways etc, I'd only really consider fitting one of these to a track bike with everything stripped except the rev counter.
skyrider
the 900
the 900

Post by skyrider on Thu 11 Jun 2015, 10:52 pm

I used to have a gear indicator on a gs 550 that I had in the 80's i think I would sooner have a fuel though scratch
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 6:26 am

@alvamiga wrote:I'd LOVE a fuel gauge! Very Happy

You already have one. It's shaped as a lever. When the engine starts sputtering, you turn it and simultaneously make a mental note to start looking for petrol stations.

Let's call it an interactive Smart-Gauge (TM pending).

In comparison, modern-day fuel gauges just sit there requiring no interaction. Thus, you run the risk of overlooking them and eventually run dry. A suitable name for this design would be a dumb-gauge. Because you will feel dumb, stranded without any more fuel.

Also, dumb-gauges seem to be made from LCD-displays, in the shape of a wildly over-complex yet not very informative 5-to-8 segment bar. Nobody cares about the upper segments, meaning it's only the two or three lower sements that are relevant. The Smart-Gauge (TM pending) has cut to the chase and sports a no-nonsense and userfriendly two-stage-UI: "Enough" and "NotEnough" petrol onboard to get you to your destination without visiting a petrol station. It even features an absolutely un-overlookable signal functionality - engine splutter. Nobody overlooks that!

The Honda design is just right. No delicate instrumentation, no wiring, no electronics or CAN-bus-datalink. Made according to the fabled KISS design principle; Keep It Simple Stupid.

sullivj
the 900
the 900

Post by sullivj on Fri 12 Jun 2015, 7:28 am

At that price, it would be interesting to see how it performs. If you do get one, please report back and let us know.
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Sun 14 Jun 2015, 5:22 pm

@stormbringer wrote:

@alvamiga wrote:I'd LOVE a fuel gauge! :D

You already have one. It's shaped as a lever. When the engine starts sputtering, you turn it and simultaneously make a mental note to start looking for petrol stations.

[snip]

If you don't like the resolution of the interactive smart-gauge then you can always use the trip-meter to give you a good idea when to fill up :)

I find the trip-meter is actually more accurate than most motorcycle fuel gauges I have used...
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:19 am

@eternally_troubled wrote:
@stormbringer wrote:
@alvamiga wrote:I'd LOVE a fuel gauge! Very Happy

[snip]
If you don't like the resolution of the interactive smart-gauge then you can always use the trip-meter to give you a good idea when to fill up Smile

I find the trip-meter is actually more accurate than most motorcycle fuel gauges I have used...
There's a trap hidden in the trip-meter. If you cane the bike, you'll trip the trap - going nowhere as far as you'd expect on the given amount of fuel. Luckily, the smart-gauge's "NotEnough"-signal will warn you in time and save the day.

IMO, using trip-meter is like trading rubberband by length...

Reference: Trundling along -> 24 km/l. Autobahn @ 100 mph -> 14.4 km/l. 24/14.4 = 1.66. That's a +60% increase in fuel consumption. Definitely noticeable...

Last edited by stormbringer on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a bit of numbers)
eternally_troubled
Admin
Admin

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled on Tue 16 Jun 2015, 1:08 pm

@stormbringer wrote:

IMO, using trip-meter is like trading rubberband by length...

Reference: Trundling along -> 24 km/l. Autobahn @ 100 mph -> 14.4 km/l. 24/14.4 = 1.66. That's a +60% increase in fuel consumption. Definitely noticeable...

You are right, but that is only a problem if you regularly experience both of those kinds of extremes in your riding in varying proportions.

My commute is extremely boring and, despite different cars getting in the way every (other) day on average I get around 45-47 mpg every time I fill up, which equates to about 9 or 10 miles in terms of distance. If I go out at the weekend then the number changes a bit, but, unless I have been going mental (no autobahn around here!), it always goes up so it is never a problem :)

To demonstrate how correct you are: when I went on holiday on my bike I kept on filling up too early and only getting (say) 13 litres in, instead of 17 - purely due to the better efficiency I was getting on the long trip.
alvamiga
Godzilla
Godzilla

Post by alvamiga on Thu 25 Jun 2015, 8:31 am

I always use the trip meter. The only time I've ran out was when the speedo cable went and I misjudged it, forgetting to check the tank for a couple of days. I'm very consistent in my riding and don't get the extremes of consumption that many round here seem to. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 21 Nov 2017, 10:56 pm